What are Dental Crowns and why are they needed?
Our natural tooth can be divided into two parts, the crown and the root. The dental crown is a type of dental restoration which encapsulates a tooth or acts as a replacement to lost tooth in combination with dental implants. Crowns are needed when you have severe decay in the tooth and it has a large filling. In such cases the crown acts as a protective barrier to the weak tooth and ensures that the filling is in place. The crown supports the functionality of the tooth. Our Keller Family Dentists Dr. Jay Corley and Dr. Rebecca Lauck providing Restorative Dentistry services at Keller TX 76248.
Crowns can be made of different types of materials. They are fabricated by taking impressions of the tooth. Once fabricated, they are cemented over the weak tooth using dental cement.
Dental Crowns have benefits:
- Crowns can improve the size, shape, appearance and alignment of the tooth
- It protects and restores a weak tooth from fracturing
- A crown is required when you want to replace a lost tooth using the dental implant and with a bridge to hold it in the right place
- It covers the tooth which has undergone root canal treatment.
- To enhance your smile dental crowns will be very much useful.
- When you have cracked tooth syndrome, to treat this dental crowns are required.
Types of Dental Crowns:
- Stainless steel crowns
- Metallic crowns
- Porcelain crowns
- Ceramic crowns
Different types of crowns are available. Depending on the necessity, durability and cost we can choose one of them. Crowns can be used over your front teeth or back teeth. Crowns can last for 6-8 years; the most important thing is how you will practice your oral hygiene. Visit our dental office Blue Stone Dental at Keller Texas for further information.